An 88-year-old woman has died after drinking toxic nutritional drinks containing 1,000 times the recommended dose of Vitamin D. The supplemental overdose caused the woman's kidneys to fail and damaged her heart. The senior was consuming the supplement, Gary Null's Ultimate Power Meal, to prolong her life - not cut it short - but her body was fatally poisoned by the toxic cocktail.
The drink's deadly effect has been traced to contamination at the manufacturer's factory. The contaminated supplement has harmed many people, as at least six have been hospitalized for severe kidney damage. Even Gary Null, the man whose name appears on the product, has been harmed by the tainted drink. Null is suing the manufacturer of the product, Triarco Industries, but he isn't the only one.
The deceased woman's family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit. Although she was 88 years old, the victim was in excellent health before consuming the contaminated product, according to her family.
Nutritional supplements have become a source of controversy in the U.S., as the supplement industry is unregulated in many facets. It seems that any supplement can boast positive health effects for its consumers, as long as a small caveat explains that the statement has not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
If you or a loved one has died from an unsafe supplement, contact an experienced Ohio food poisoning lawyer to discuss your legal options for recovering financial damages.
Source: dailymail.co.uk, "Elderly New Jersey woman suffered 'extremely painful, severe' injuries before dying after drinking toxic nutritional health supplement," Hannah Rand, Jan. 19, 2012